Here you will learn everything you need to know about the research question and objective!
Research objective and research question
Often both terms are confused
The objective (also called the research objective or research goal) of a scientific paper (eg Bachelor thesis) explains the reason why the research is carried out. Thus, the research goal describes what you want to achieve with the work. The objective answers the following question: Why would you like to research something?
In the research question, a key question is formulated, which is answered in the main part of a scientific paper (eg housework). The research question answers the following question: What do you want to research?
Formulate research question
1st step: choose topic
In order to be able to formulate the research question and objective, you must first select a topic.
SAMPLE THEME: FACEBOOK MARKETING FOR SME
Step 2: Formulate the research question and the research goal
Once you have selected the topic, you must formulate the research question. It can be helpful to ask yourself the W-questions.
WE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS AT THE EXAMPLE THEME: FACEBOOK MARKETING FOR SME
Who? Who uses Facebook marketing? mainly large corporations and relatively few SMEs
Why? Why do companies use more and more Facebook marketing? targeted warm acquisition
As? How is Facebook marketing used effectively? With customer audiences and retargeting campaigns
You do not have to answer every W question!
3rd step: formulate hypothesis / thesis
After you have formulated research question, you still need i. d. R. a hypothesis or thesis. Often the terms are not clearly differentiated!
An easily verifiable statement
A coherent statement consisting of 2 variables.
Where does the research question and objective belong?
Each scientific paper consists of the following parts:
- THE OBJECTIVE OF A SCIENTIFIC WORK IS IN THE INTRODUCTION. WHICH FOLLOW THE RESEARCH OBJECTIVE DEPENDS ON THE NATURE OF THE WORK AND THE SCOPE.
- Research question / objective in short term paper
- In the case of a very short housework, the objective can not be obtained in a separate subchapter but in the context of the introduction.
- Introduction (contains research objective)
Research question / objective in term paper / term paper
In the case of a longer term paper or seminar paper, bachelor thesis or master thesis, the objective follows the problem definition and the methodical procedure (also called the structure of the work, the course of the work or research design).
- 1.1 problem statement
- 1.2 Research question and objective
- 1.3 Methodical procedure
Research question / objective in bachelor thesis, master thesis or doctoral thesis
In the case of an extensive master’s thesis or doctoral thesis, the introduction may contain a state of the art as well as a classification into the research paradigm. In this case, the objective of the study should be state-of-the-art and prior to classification in the research paradigm.
- 1.1 problem statement
- 1.2 (State of the Art)
- 1.3 Research question and objective
- (1.4 Classification in the research paradigm)
- 1.5 Methodical approach
Objective of a scientific work
In order to formulate a good objective, a homework / bachelor thesis / master thesis must be professionally, spatially and temporally z. For example, answer the following questions:
- WHAT IS THE CONTRIBUTION THROUGH SCIENTIFIC WORK FOR SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSION?
- WHAT IS CREATED ON CONCEPTUAL FOUNDATIONS, EMPLOYEE OR APPLICATIONS?
- DOES THE SCIENTIFIC WORK ENSURE THAT MORE KNOWLEDGE OF THE EXPLORING RESEARCH OBJECT IS PRESENT?
- The research goal of a scientific paper should be as short and as easy to understand as possible. Therefore, the objective should be simply worded. If you formulate your research goal well in your scientific work, you will create the right expectations for the reader.
Some goals are not scientifically detectable for various reasons (eg “infinite” influencing factors, not research methods). Therefore, you should consider this when formulating the research objective and question. For this purpose, the so-called “non-objective” is used, with which you show the limits of the scientific work and determine what must be renounced. In this way, you can focus on one area and exclude certain influencing factors in a research question and the research goal of a bachelor thesis / master thesis.
What do you want to achieve with the research objective?
Determine an object or situation.
Describe an object or circumstance very exactly on its characteristics.
Confirm or reject a statement.
Min. Compare two objects or facts.
Predict a development of an object or fact.